1. What is the IP protection level of electrical cabinets?
According to IEC 60529 standard, the IP protection level of an electrical cabinet can be understood as the ability to resist the ingress of objects, dust and liquid (water) of the electrical cabinet into the cabinet, if the ingress of water and If dirt gets into electrical equipment, it will affect the operation and life of the equipment, and sometimes also directly affect the safety of the users of the equipment. The higher the IP protection level, the greater the protection of the device against dust and water.
IP protection level of electrical cabinets is represented by 2 digits -IPxy, tens digit and unit digit.
- Unit digit (y): Shows the cabinet’s ability to resist the ingress of water into the equipment in the electrical cabinet.
- Tens digit (x): Is the ability of the cabinet to resist the ingress of objects and dust directly into the equipment in the cabinet.
2. Meaning and scope of application of IP protection in the design and manufacture of electrical cabinets.
In environments with a lot of dust and steam, we need to choose a high IP protection level to prevent dust from sticking to the contact systems of the device, causing an unnecessary power failure.
3. Scope of application
- IP31 – The enclosure is protected against ingress of objects > 2.5 mm, and protected against the ingress of vertical drops of water.
- IP42 – The enclosure is protected against the ingress of objects >1 mm in size, and protected against the ingress of vertical and inclined drops of water. IP42 enclosures are used. Widely used for building systems, light industrial plants…
- IP54 – IP54 enclosures are used indoors and outdoors, it provides a degree of protection against dust and rain, splashes and directional water, faucets and is not damaged by the formation of snow cover. IP54 cabinet is widely used for outdoor electrical cabinet system, electrical cabinet for industrial park infrastructure, kiosk station… The cabinet is widely used in clean room system, and other Heavy industry projects such as cement, mineral coal, petrochemical refining, etc.
- IP65 – IP 65 enclosures are used indoors and outdoors, providing a degree of protection against, dust, wind, rain, splashes and directional water flows, nozzles and are not damaged by formation of covering tape. IP65 electrical cabinets are widely used for chemical industry, ships…
The choice of the IP level of the switchboard depends on the needs, the nature of each project, the characteristics of the surrounding environment, or the location and layout of the electrical cabinet.
Choosing the IP protection level of the electrical cabinet’s enclosure ensures that electrical equipment works safely and stably, and at the same time ensures the life of electrical equipment in particular as well as of electrical cabinets in general.
5. Some pictures of electrical cabinets designed and installed by VESA to ensure IP levels
Electrical cabinet with IP 31
Electrical cabinet with IP 42
Electrical cabinet with IP 55
Through the above article, VESA has introduced to you the protection levels of electrical cabinets. With the desire to help customers choose and design electrical cabinet systems in accordance with the environment and usage needs. Customers who need to install electrical cabinets in wastewater treatment systems, clean water … please contact us at:
Head Office – Vietnam Water and Environmental Sanitation Co., Ltd
Address: 2nd Floor, Building D, Viet Duc Complex, Alley 164 Khuat Duy Tien, Thanh Xuan District, Hanoi City, Vietnam. Hotline: (+84) 904 571 488. Best Regards./.